Archive Links

Consumer Archive
CU System Archive
Market Archive
Products Archive
Washington Archive
150x172_CUEffect.jpg
Contacts
LISA MCCUEVICE PRESIDENT OF COMMUNICATIONS
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
MICHELLE WILLITSManaging Editor
RON JOOSSASSISTANT EDITOR
ALEX MCVEIGHSTAFF NEWSWRITER
TOM SAKASHSTAFF NEWSWRITER

News Now

CU System
CSMC sues founder former execs for racketeering
WAUWATOSA, Wis. (2/5/09)--Central States Mortgage Co. (CSMC), one of Wisconsin’s largest mortgage bankers--partially owned by credit unions--is suing its founder and four other CSMC executives for racketeering and allegedly defrauding the company of at least $15 million. CSMC, founded in 1992 by Richard Jungen, also does business in Illinois. In 1997, the Wisconsin Credit Union League Service Corp. and 13 state-chartered credit unions in Wisconsin and Illinois acquired 53% of CSMC shares (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Feb. 4). The remaining 47% of CSMC shares were held by Jungen and other former employees. Since 1997, the credit unions have acquired 72% of the shares. The Jungen group controls the rest. Jungen and others created Interim Funding--a limited liability corporation--that provided bridge loans to credit unions and sold them with CSMC. Jungen and the other defendants did not reveal their involvement in Interim to other CSMC officials, the suit alleges. Jungen was fired July 31, the lawsuit indicated. The others named in the suit were terminated within a few months. The lawsuit claims the $15 million in losses were the result of a conspiracy to shift distressed mortgage loans to CSMC from Interim, and that the transfer constituted a pattern of racketeering, including at least three instances of wire fraud and a breach of fiduciary duty.


RSS





print
News Now LiveWire
A recent report from @TransUnion says consumers born 1981 or later made up 27% of total auto-loan originations in 2014, up 16% from 2009.
13 hours ago
.@CUNA says new House bill is "further evidence" of lawmakers' interest in how @TheNCUA uses its funds from CUs. See News Now Monday.
1 day ago
.@MECreditUnions announces winner of @YoungFreeME #SoundOff contest. @Sassquatch_Band will play Old Port Festival in June @PDD_Downtown
9 hours ago
House Financial Services Com. to hold March 3 hearing to receive the semi-annual report of @CFPB Director Richard Cordray.
9 hours ago
Rep. Jeff Miller (R-Fla.) re-introduced bill to ease veterans' access to loans for #smallbusiness purposes from a #creditunion (HR 1133)
11 hours ago