SANFORD, Maine (1/2/09)--Firefighters praised the staff of Ocean Communities FCU’s Sanford, Maine, branch for preventing a serious fire that could have destroyed the credit union’s building. Sanford Fire Department Capt. Brian Smith told local reports that staff at the $130.9 million asset credit union, dialed 9-1-1 just before the branch closed Tuesday night to report smoke coming out of the eaves of the building (Portland Press Herald Dec. 30). After several minutes, firefighters pinpointed the cause: an overheated halogen lamp that was installed in an area under renovation. The area surrounding the lamp was charred and smoldering and likely would have caught fire had not the staff alerted the fire department, said Smith. Officials disconnected the power source and said the lamp will need to be replaced.