MADISON, Wis. (FILED 12:25 p.m. CT 11/1/12)--About 25 credit union policy holders in seven states have reported damages from Hurricane Sandy and more damage reports are expected, said CUNA Mutual Group today.
"We have received damage reports from about 25 credit union policyholders so far, located in seven states. Most of the claim reports are for minor building damages in the New York City, Long Island and Jersey Shore areas," said Phil Tschudy, media relations manager at CUNA Mutual Group.
"Many credit unions are still without power, and we expect to receive more claim reports. The damage reports we have received do not include those caused by flooding or storm surges, which are insured through the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA's) National Flood Insurance Program," he said.
"Power is, and will continue to be a major problem for many days. However, per our findings and discussion with the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) all credit unions are operational. Some branches are closed, but members can transact business via the Web, or at other branch locations of their credit union," Tschudy told News Now
"CUNA Mutual Group has been proactively reaching out to credit unions in the impacted areas to determine how they are faring, and not waiting for them to contact us for help. If we have not been able to reach a credit union or if the credit union was unsure if a branch was damaged due to evacuation, we have had our adjusters work with authorities to make onsite inspections, which have sometimes meant arranging for police escorts. These inspections help us determine if damages need to be immediately addressed, if power is on, and if it is necessary to arrange for security to protect the building and its contents," he said.
"Our staff has been working closely with the NCUA and credit union leagues to share information. We are continuing our attempts to contact a small number of credit unions we have not yet reached and are asking they contact CUNA Mutual Group at 800-637-2676 and let us know of any problems they are having, big or small, as well as if they are aware of any other credit unions they know of that need help."
Also, the National Credit Union Foundation said that since opening its CUAid Disaster Relief Fund yesterday, it has raised more than $25,000 in donations. Use the link to donate.
The New Jersey Credit Union League issued an updated status report at noon today and will issue another one at 5 p.m.
- 1st Bergen FCU--Equipment and facility OK, but no power. Opening limited hours today and Friday, if necessary, at one of its other sponsor sites.
- ADP FCU--Roseland office open and operational.
- Affinity FCU--Following ranches will be open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Basking Ridge, Piscataway, Cedar Knolls, Flemington, Hillsborough, Edison (all other branches remain closed. Online Banking is unavailable, but we are working to restore it as quickly. Affinity's Casino Night, scheduled to take place today at 6 p.m. has been postponed. Information will be communicated once available.
- Atlantic FCU--Kenilworth office is without power; will open once power is restored.
- Bay Atlantic FCU--Operational and all systems are functioning properly. Used disaster recovery/business continuity (DR/BC) plans to service members on Monday.
- Bridgeton Onized FCU--Open but no email. Used DR/BC plans to service members on Monday.
- Central Jersey FCU--Woodbridge office open and fully operational; South Plainfield office closed until power is restored.
- Credit Union of New Jersey--Operational at its main office and branch in Ewing as well at its Lafayette Branch and Willingboro Branch.
- Essex County Teachers FCU--Credit union has power, phone, and DP communications; reported that many shared branching CUs aren't available on the network, communicated these issues to NCUA.
- Financial Resources FCU--Experienced power and telecommunications outages. All branches in New Jersey remain closed as a result of the outages, but otherwise suffered little to no damage. All locations outside of the state are operational and processing normally otherwise. The credit union's website, mobile, mobile apps, text messaging and other electronic services are up and running.
- First Financial FCU--Toms River Branch opened at 9 a.m. today. All other offices and branches will remain closed until further notice.
- Hamilton Horizons FCU--Closed due to power outage. All back office transactions, including auto clearinghoiuse (ACH), checking and ATM are still operating.
- Garden Savings FCU--Parsippany branch re-opened; Newark branch without power and is closed.
- Jersey Central--Cranford office open.
- Jersey Shore FCU--All offices are fully operational.
- McGraw-Hill FCU--2 Penn Plaza, 1221 Ave. of the Americas, and East Windsor branches are now open and operating under normal business hours. Verizon is still down at East Windsor branch so CU can't get member info out. 55 Water St. branch is still closed due to the forced evacuation of the building.
- MidState FCU--CU has remained closed due to thefts and no power in Carteret; posting remotely all ACH drafts, etc. Will attempt to hire off duty police to sit with the staff so that it can open for Friday.
- North Jersey FCU--All branches open.
- Parlin DuPont FCU--Now has power but no phone/Internet; making do with file transfers and PBF.
- Picatinny FCU--Main branch in Rockaway and Denville branch are fully operational. The arsenal had a delayed opening of noon yesterday and the Mt. Olive branch is closed due to power outage. The credit union has allowed the league Business Consultant Angel Santos to work at the Rockaway office for the time being.
- Rancocas FCU--Open and operational.
- Renaissance CDCU--Credit union has been shut down without power, Internet access, phones, etc. since Monday. It hopes the power will be back on in the area of the credit union by the end of the day so it can begin processing ACH, share drafts and ATMs.
- Rutgers FCU--Busch is open, College Ave. is running on a limited schedule, Newark is closed. All services available.
- United Teletech FCU--Tinton Falls branch is currently open for business; all other locations are closed pending the restoration of power to those locations.
- West Orange Municipal FCU--Has a generator and should be able to continue operations with little interruption going forward.
- XCEL FCU--Bloomfield, N.J. office OK, but most branch staff depends on PATH and NY subways for transportation. Fed Plaza branch in Manhattan, and Journal Square branch in Jersey City will remain closed until further notice. Branch at 3680 Kennedy Boulevard in Jersey City is open. All ACH and share drafts were posted remotely each day.