Archive Links

Consumer Archive
CU System Archive
Market Archive
Products Archive
Washington Archive
150x172_CUEffect.jpg
Contacts
LISA MCCUEVICE PRESIDENT OF COMMUNICATIONS
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
MICHELLE WILLITSManaging Editor
RON JOOSSASSISTANT EDITOR
ALEX MCVEIGHSTAFF NEWSWRITER
TOM SAKASHSTAFF NEWSWRITER

News Now

CU System
Trend CUs name changes slowing
MADISON, Wis. (12/14/12)--U.S. credit union name changes have slowed down this year, according to The Financial Brand, an online industry trade publication focused on branding, marketing, advertising, promotions and branch design in retail banking, including credit unions.

In the past seven years, there have been 234 credit union name changes, said the company, which studied every name change in the credit union industry since 2006. That represents 3.27% of all credit unions, which collectively hold 5.52% of all credit union assets, The Financial Brand said.

This year saw the fewest credit union name changes in the past seven years--24, the company said. The high was 42 in 2009 and 2011.

One trend is that smaller credit unions are changing their names. In 2006, about 79% of all credit unions changing their monikers had assets in excess of $100 million. However, by 2012, that percentage had plunged to 33%, with the other 67% having assets under $100 million, said The Financial Brand.

Other trends: nine percent of new names included the word "First" while 6.8% added the word "Financial."

Although alphanumeric constructions are rare--Plus 4, Med 5, Coast 360 and Latitude 32 being the most unique--48 credit unions nationwide (20.5%) that changed their name since 2006 have included a geographic emphasis or reference in their new name, the company said.    

To read the article, use the link.
Other Resources

RSS





print
News Now LiveWire
.@LACULeague in @DailyComet: #creditunions' "old" benefits attractive to new generation http://t.co/AzOv3nB7IB
14 hours ago
At @FTC request, court halts operations of an alleged debt-relief scammer calling itself “FTC Credit Solutions.” http://t.co/qMsDBmKExH
19 hours ago
.@daytondailynews : The secret is out about #creditunions http://t.co/Aqu3pFTROV @DayAirCU @CODECreditUnion
19 hours ago
.@CUNA's @Nussle on @SenatorReid :(2of2)On behalf of more than 102M #CU members,I thank him 4 his leadership over the yrs/wish him the best.
21 hours ago
.@CUNA CEO Nussle on Sen. Reid’s decision not 2 seek re-election (1of2): Sen. Reid has a long history of #CU support throughout his career.
22 hours ago