WICHITA, Kan. (2/22/13)--A winter storm that swept through Kansas Thursday closed more than two dozen credit unions and two credit union service organizations, said the Kansas Credit Union Association.
By 11 a.m. Thursday, the storm had dropped 10 inches of snow, and an accumulation of 18 inches was expected in some parts of the state, KCUA Communications Director Susan Dyer told News Now
. KCUA offices were open Thursday, with some staff working from home.
"We haven't had this big of a storm in several years," she said, noting at the time the storm front was pushing toward Kansas City. Most of the state was under a winter storm warning, with the storm moving eastward.
As of 10 a.m. CT, 22 credit unions and two CUSOs in Kansas had closed. Later in the day, more credit unions announced closings. Most had closed all their branch locations. Closed were:
- Bell Government CU, Dodge City;
- Bluestem Community CU, El Dorado;
- Central Kansas CU, Hutchinson;
- Credit Union of America, Wichita;
- Credit Union of Emporia, Emporia;
- Credit Union of Dodge City (Kan.);
- Central Star CU, Wichita;
- Educational CU, Topeka;
- Emporia State FCU, Emporia;
- Envista CU, Topeka;
- EquiShare CU, Wichita;
- Hutchinson (Kan.) CU;
- Hutchinson Government Employees CU, Hutchinson;
- Kansas State University FCU's West Branch, Manhattan;
- KU CU's Lawrence branch;
- Mainstreet CU, Lenexa;
- McPherson (Kan.) CO-OP CU;
- Medical Community CU, Wichita;
- Meritrust CU, Wichita;
- Midwest Regional CU, Kansas City;
- New Century CU, Topeka;
- Quest CU, Topeka;
- River Cities Community CU, Atchinson;
- TECU CU, Wichita; and
- USPLK Employees FCU, Leavenworth.
Two CUSOs also closed: Cap CUSO and Educational CUSO. Frontier Community CU closed early, and Medical Community CU was open but with limited staff.
The Missouri Credit Union Association was also bracing for the storm, according to its Facebook postings.
KCUA said it was posting information on its Facebook page. "We're trying to keep our Facebook page updated: facebook.com/KansasCreditUnion Association," said Dyer. KCUA's Twitter account is @TheKCUA.