Archive Links

Consumer Archive
CU System Archive
Market Archive
Products Archive
Washington Archive
150x172_CUEffect.jpg
Contacts
LISA MCCUEVICE PRESIDENT OF COMMUNICATIONS
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
MICHELLE WILLITSManaging Editor
RON JOOSSASSISTANT EDITOR
ALEX MCVEIGHSTAFF NEWSWRITER
TOM SAKASHSTAFF NEWSWRITER

News Now

Washington
NCUA: No corporate assessment (but no refunds either)
ALEXANDRIA, Va. (8/1/14)--Credit unions will not face an assessment this year for the Corporate Credit Union Stabilization Fund, the National Credit Union Administration confirmed at its board meeting Thursday. Future assessments are unlikely as well.

Larry Fazio, NCUA director of examination and insurance, said the improvements to the fund are due to the performance of the NCUA Guaranteed Notes (NGN) program and recent corporate credit union litigation settlements totaling more than $1.75 billion.

Net projected remaining assessments in the Stabilization Fund range from -$2 billion to -$0.6 billion. NCUA Chair Debbie Matz said the double negative projected assessment range is "positive news" for credit unions.

But Fazio emphasized that the negative assessment range does not mean there are funds available to provide refunds to credit unions now, as the improving values of legacy assets are used to secure the NGN. The NCUA also owes $2.6 billion borrowed from the U.S. Treasury. The agency did indicate that some rebate to federally insured credit unions in 2021 might be possible, but only after all obligations, including those to Treasury, have been met.

The board also provided a quarterly update on the status of the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF). The fund has an equity rate of 1.29% as of June 30, and reserves are approximately $176.1 million, $8.1 million of which are for specific credit unions.

According to the NCUA, there are 295 CAMEL 4 and 5 credit unions, representing 1.46% of insured shares, or approximately $13.2 billion. The number of CAMEL 4 and 5 credit unions is on the decline. There are 1,466 CAMEL 3 credit unions, representing 10.46% of insured shares, or $94.5 billion. Combined, insured shares in CAMEL 3, 4, and 5 credit unions represent only 11.92% of total insured shares.

There have been eight credit union failures so far this year. In 2013 there were 17 total failures.

The NCUA board also approved a community charter expansion for Call FCU, based in Richmond, Va. with $360 million in assets. The credit union was chartered in 1962 to serve the employees of Philip Morris Tobacco Company, also based in Richmond, and converted to a community charter in July 2010, serving approximately 100 select groups and two underserved areas.

The expansion of the charter means approximately 1.3 million people are now in Call FCU's field of membership.

Use the resource links below for more information.
RSS





print
News Now LiveWire
Which Children's Miracle Network Hospital is the winner of @CUDirect's 20 for 20 grand prize? Find out Tuesday.
25 minutes ago
Gas prices have fallen for a record 88 days in a row says @AAAnews via @washingtonpost http://t.co/c52VTdqHEB
2 hours ago
.@TheNCUA releases regulatory modernization initiative results (PDF link) http://t.co/pgLZe4aget
3 hours ago
#FinCEN seeks nominations of FIs, trade groups for membership on Bank Secrecy Act advisory group http://t.co/l5w58c277W
4 hours ago
MI pediatric dentist pledges $20K match to Hurley Children's Hospital if it wins @CUDirect's 20 for 20 http://t.co/Eq2nIPm6jo
4 hours ago